Spirit Bottle Chandelier

Step 1: Cutting the Bottle Shades

To remove the bottle bottoms I started off using the scored line and thermal shock method. I madeĀ alittleĀ jigĀ to attainĀ the bottlesĀ thenĀ tortured them with my kettle and cold tap. I did five bottlesĀ and everyĀ one went pear shaped. AsĀ you’llĀ seeĀ within theĀ second photo on this page aĀ alittleĀ section always tapered off towards some unseen flaw. Perhaps because the spirit bottles are thicker than beer/wine bottles?

SoĀ i made a decisionĀ to undertakeĀ a diamond disc in my dremel, wearing my riot gear (mask and goggles), I slowly cut out a line oneĀ all sidesĀ rotating the bottleĀ in order thatĀ I didn’t go all the way through one side before I had made my way into the others. It worked quite well, I found that a strip ofĀ masking paperĀ helped guide my cuts and also reduced the chipping.

After I had cut way the bottoms I clamped down someĀ abrasiveĀ and using water began to sand down the bottoms usingĀ a goodĀ circular motion. I used 60, 100 and 200 grits, I could have gone further but I liked the frosted edge the 200 grit left.

The sanding wasĀ the simplestĀ definitelyĀ the simplestĀ smellingĀ a part ofĀ this project, the rhubarb gin bottle smelt really nice!

Step 2: Light Fittings

We had recently taken down a ceiling light in our dining room, so I stripped it down and stole the light fittings, the ceiling mount and took inspiration from its wiring loom. I also noticed a way for me to hang the lamp from the ceiling mount using some threaded bar.

Step 3: Balancing the Wheel

I has and old rear 700c wheel behind my shed, I removed the axle, polished the rim and spokes up withĀ a bitĀ of Scotch Brite and cleaned the grease from the cassette. I also removed the protective tape that covers the spoke screws and cleaned it up with the scotch brite.

The circumference of the wheel is 198cm/78″, I positioned the bottles at equal distances tied to the wheel with stringĀ to ascertainĀ how it balanced. It didn’t. the Bombay bottleĀ may be aĀ chunky bugger and also taller than the others. So I devisedĀ a wayĀ of calculatingĀ the loadĀ of the bottle relative to its height. I call it the Bottle Mass Index or B.M.I.,Ā i feelĀ it’s going toĀ catch on……. I figured that I neededĀ to requireĀ off about 50mm/2″ from the Bombay toĀ bring backĀ an identicalĀ weight of the others.

I got hold ofĀ a bitĀ of threaded bar and reusing a cool looking ball nut from the old lamp I fixed the rewired ceiling fitting to the wheel. I stuck itĀ abreast ofĀ my shed roof for a sneak peek.

Step 4: Accidents Will Happen

While grinding down the the Dalmore bottle with the wet emery cloth I slipped and chipped a chunk of the flared edge off. I tried a spot of stupid glue and polishing it up and telling my self it added character to the bottle but I had to admit that it was messed up and sacrificed the nice flare in the bottle for the sake of linear satisfaction.
Then it got worse, the lovely Haig Club bottle picked a fight with the Slingsby gin and lost big time. There was no rescue plan. So I took one for the team and spent an evening knocking back the remainder of a bottle of Bruadar.

Step 5: Assembley

I gaveĀ the ultimateĀ line up aĀ checkĀ , there was still a difference inĀ a number ofĀ the weights but nothing massive. I also wired upĀ one amongĀ the pendantsĀ to formĀ sure that it worked. I’veĀ need toĀ admit i did half expectĀ to urgeĀ zapped by 240 of the national grids finest volts at this point! I’m still here.

I drilled equidistant holesĀ within theĀ wheels rim for the wiring toĀ undergoĀ thenĀ fed the lamp fitting wiring up the bottle necks, through the rim and positioned it over the hubĀ to ascertainĀ how long the pendant cords needed to be with the ceiling fittingĀ in situĀ .

I was still grumbling at myself about the smashed Haig Club bottle, so I took precautions and shreddedĀ one amongĀ lady shed freaks fluffiest bath towels. After feeding the all pendant wiring through the wheel and into the disc which retained the armsĀ within theĀ old lamp I joined and soldered them. Then I finished wiring it to the ceiling fitting and secured the wires to the spokes with plastic tie wraps andĀ it had beenĀ able toĀ hang!!

Step 6: The End!!

Unbelievable Chair

How To Make Speakers